The scope of our investigation can be further elaborated to cover the following elements:
- Lead used in gunshot for hunting birds and other animals (e.g. rabbits) in terrestrial areas (i.e. outside of wetlands),
- Lead used in gunshot for ‘sports’ shooting, including training i.e. clay pigeons,
- Lead used in bullets/pellets for hunting any animal (e.g. deer),
- Lead used in bullets/pellets for ‘sports’ shooting, including training (indoor and outdoor) i.e. targets,
- Lead used in fishing tackle (weights, lures, jigs) for recreational fishing,
- Lead used in commercial fishing gear.
Please note that, in line with the terms of the Commission request, military uses are outside of the scope of the Commission’s request.
We will investigate the risks posed by lead to the environment as well as to humans via the environment (i.e. through the consumption of food).
The objective of this call is to gather information on the following topics for each of the uses A to F above:
Information on quantities of lead used and/or released to the environment and the resulting human health or environmental impacts. We are especially interested in information on:
- The quantity of lead present in products placed on the EU market and the potential for release to the environment during use;
- Information on the frequency and extent of lead poisoning observed in terrestrial species of birds, including predatory and scavenging species;
- Statistical information on the annual game meat consumption in a country or regional area? (Approximation of the weekly/yearly consumption in grams and/or the frequency of meals can be provided as well as the specific species consumed, if possible.);
- The consumption of game meat in specific groups such as infants, small children, women in childbearing age or high consumers (such as hunters and their families);
- Any differences between on- and off-hunting season consumption; is the game frequently e.g. frozen or otherwise preserved for later use;
- Information on the absorption rate of lead to human body from ingested gunshot and/or bullets or from some other analogous material;
- Information on the blood lead levels of game meat consumers and hunters;
- Any other relevant human health/exposure data related to lead containing gunshot and bullet or fishing tackle, or the alternatives of these articles?
- Information on the practice of ‘home casting’ of fishing tackle with lead and/or the re-filling of cartridges;